Mud can be a complete nightmare, especially for pet owners and young kids about with it being traipsed across the house.
Most of you have probably looked at your carpets and panicked, then started to aggressively rub the fresh mud, in a desperate attempt to clean it up as quickly! Well, that will usually make things worse!
If you’re looking for a few methods on how to clean mud from your carpet, well you’re in luck, read below!
Mud Cleaning Method #1: Washing Up Liquid
- Pick up all of the large mud clumps from the carpet. (We would advise using protective gloves throughout the cleaning process)
- Apply a mixture of baking powder and salt to the mud stain. Allow the mixture to sit for a couple of hours to soak up all of the moisture from the stain. Then, vacuum away the mixture
- Mix a tablespoon of washing up liquid with two mugs of warm water and saturate the stain with the solution., using a clean cloth
- Blot the excess liquid using a good absorbent paper towel
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the mud stain is removed
- Sponge the carpet with cold water and blot away, again with a paper towel
- Let it air dry.
Mud Cleaning Method #2: Vinegar
You won’t need as long for this method, in fact, probably only about 15 minutes.
- Add half a cup of vinegar, add about a tablespoon of washing up liquid and mix
- Using a brush, gently rub the solution onto the mud stain
- Rinse the area with cold water using either a clean cloth or sponge
- Repeat the process until the stain has gone
- Once the stain has been removed, dry the carpet with a clean towel.
Mud Cleaning Method #3: Shop brought stain remover
These homemade attempts may fail you and if they do just buy a commercial stain remover. They’re all usually quite simple to use, usually all you have to do is spray the product on the stained area and allow it to sit. You will find information about the amount of time the product needs to sit in order for it to work, on the care label.
After you’ve waited for the stain remover to sit for the specified amount of time, you then need to wipe the carpet clean (we would recommend using a sponge to rub the stained area).
Mud Cleaning Method #4: Get the professionals in
If you don’t have the time to be kneeling on the floor blotting away at the stain or don’t have the products to do so, you can always call a professional carpet cleaner like ServiceMaster Clean to remove the stain for you.
Find your nearest ServiceMaster Clean and contact them today for any of carpet or upholstery cleaning needs.