The following tips will only make your home look 10 years younger and not yourselves, unfortunately, that’s another story about botox.
When sofas, carpets and curtains start to look old and worn the temptation is usually to replace them, however, we would say a good clean can make your furniture look 10 years younger!
Top Tips to Keeping Your Furniture Looking 10 years younger
Here are our top tips to slow down the ageing process for your carpets, upholstery and carpets.
- Lightly vacuum sofas and curtains once a week, and use a soft brush to pre-brush if very dusty.
- Regularly turn cushions on your upholstery to prevent excessive soiling and uneven wearing of the fabric
- Smooth out any creases in cushions to prevent them from becoming permanent, causing early wear and an untidy feel to your upholstery.
- If you have a pet and allow them to use a sofa you can use a lint remover to get rid of any pet hair.
– Like dirt, pet hair will cause your sofa and carpet to wear quicker if it’s left.
- The same as our skin, too much sun for your curtains is a bad thing, as well as carpets and upholstery, causing them to fade over time.
– To avoid this and protect your fabrics from the damaging effects of sunlight, pull the curtains or blinds whenever possible and move pieces of furniture out of direct sunlight to a different side of the room.
- Trim any loose threads on your fabrics, never pull them as this will result in further damage.
How can ServiceMaster Clean assist?
New curtains, upholstery and carpets can be expensive, so making sure they’re looking their best and keeping them clean for as long as possible, will not only make you feel better but will be kind to your bank balance.
- Have your carpets, upholstery and curtains cleaned at least every 12-18 months.
– If any dirt, dust or soil is left to buildup on your fabrics, this can cause irreparable damage to the fibres, dull the colours and accelerate the wear.
- If you do happen to buy any new furniture, you may want to consider having a protective treatment applied.
– Modern treatments, like the ones our technicians use, will help repel stains and spills and give your curtains, carpets and sofas a much longer life.
If you’re unsure about cleaning any of your fabrics then give your local ServiceMaster Clean a call, find your nearest here.
You may be interested in reading one of our other blog posts – How To Remove Grease From Your Upholstery