If you’re having building work done or renovations carried out on your home, it’s a good idea to deep-clean your home to eliminate any dust and dirt. Depending on the scale of work, everything from your carpets, walls and windows to your cupboards, work surfaces and bathrooms may need cleaning.
Once the builders have left, it’s only natural to want to rush in and clean everything up. However, we recommend waiting until the air is clean to ensure that you don’t waste your time cleaning, only for more dust to settle.
It’s worth noting that you may need to let the dust settle for up to two weeks after the builders have gone before your property can be cleaned to a professional standard.
- Remove any rubble or debris that’s been left behind with a dustpan and brush or a broom. This way, you can get rid of the larger rubbish, ready to begin removing the smaller surface dust.
- Vaccum your carpets and upholstery straight away to avoid dirt accumulating and staining. Continue to do this every few days over the next two weeks to remove any extra dust from the air.
- Clean wooden, laminate, stone or tiled flooring with a gentle floor cleaner mixed with warm water to removed the surface dirt.*Remember to always check the manufacturers instructions before cleaning your flooring.
- If you haven’t removed your curtains or blinds, make sure that you clean them as they tend to gather dust. We recommend gently vaccuming them to remove the dust before washing as per the manufacturers instructions. For more information on curtain cleaning, click here.
- It may be necessary to wash your walls and the inside of your windows to remove any dust or grime.
Once the majority of the dust has been removed, it’s time to deep clean your home.
- It’s a good idea to wipe down any surfaces with an antibacterial product. For a natural surface cleaner, try mixing baking soda with lemon juice, vinegar or even just some water to form a paste. Rub this all over your work surface and rinse thoroughly with water. The baking soda will break down the dust and will eliminate any stains.
- Dust any ornaments, electrical goods, mirrors, picture frames and skirting boards with a microfibre cloth
If the job is too big for you to undertake yourself, why not call in the cleaning experts? ServiceMaster Clean can carry out builders cleans, along with our sister brand, Merry Maids. Working together, we ensure that your property is cleaned to the highest possible standard.