Hygienilac Q & A’s
What is Hygienilac?
Hygienilac is a unique antimicrobial agent that prevents bacteria’s access to nutrients so they starve and die. This unique additive can be incorporated into a wide range of materials to make them antibacterial. ServiceMaster Limited has an exclusive agreement to be able to use Hygienilac within some of its cleaning and wood protection products.
How does Hygienilac work?
Bacteria need Sodium and Potassium to survive. Hygienilac works by spearing tiny holes into the bacteria which then cause the bacteria to over produce Sodium and Potassium. The bacteria then starve and die. Not only that, but Hygienilac has a kill rate of 99.9 per cent over a 24 hr period and can remain effective for years because of its inherently low water solubility – it doesn’t wash off!
Does Hygienilac have an immediate effect?
Hygienilac begins to work immediately, on application.
For how long does the antibacterial effect last?
It depends on the ServiceMaster product in question. Caretec and Multisurface cleaner can provide up to 72 hours protection whilst the water-based wood lacquer could offer protection for up to 5 years. Fabritec fabric protector could last for up to 12 months.
How has Hygienilac’s antibacterial effect been evaluated?
- USA Food and Drug Administration – FDA
- UK Health and Safety Executive – HSE
- EU Biocide Product Directive – BPA
- British Standard 6250 – certified
What bacteria does Hygienilac protect against?
- Hygienilac has been tested against the following bacteria:
- Staphylococcus Aureus Methicillin-Resistant Strain (MRSA);
- Listeria monocytogenes (Septicaemia, meningitis);
- Clostridium difficile (C-Diff); The only safe product available on the market to kill C.Diff at spore level.
- Staphylococcus aureus (severe / short term food poisoning);
- Salmonella enteriditis (Salmonella);
- Klebsiella pneumonia (pneumonia);
- Aspergillus niger (Lung infection);
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Wound infection);
- Penicillium purpurogenum;
- Bacillus cereus (common food poisoning);
- Saccharmyces cerevisiae;
- Escherichia coli (E-Coli).
Do other cleaning products inhibit Hygienilac’s performance?
Mild detergent and warm water can be used, however Caretec is recommended for wooded Hygienilac coated surfaces as it has the ability to seal over minor scratches. Any products which contain Sodium Hyperchlorite (bleach) should be avoided, as overtime they could affect Hygienilac’s antibacterial properities.
Are the chemicals within Hygienilac harmful?
Hygienilac does not contain any heavy metals or formaldehydes and is food safe and child safe as well as being non-toxic, non carsogenic and non skin sensitising. Similarly, Hygienilac does not contain any expensive antibiotics or silver.
Is Hygienilac environmentally friendly?
Yes. Hygienilac is very environmentally friendly and is also 96.9% biodegradable.
What Hygienilac products are available from ServiceMaster?
- Caretec – a ready to use multisurface cleaner available in a 750ml trigger spray.
- Multisurface cleaner – the concentrate of Caretec available in a 5l bottle.
- Fabritec – A water-based carpet protector available in a 5l bottle.
- Fabritec SP – a furnishings and upholstery protector available in a 5l bottle.
- Premium 25 – a high gloss finish for hard floors available in a 5l bottle.
- Fabrix – a deodoriser available in a 750ml trigger spray.
- Hand Soap – liquid sand soap available in a 250ml pump.
- Hand Mousse – available in a handy 50ml dispenser.
- Water-based wood lacquers – available in gloss, matt and satin finishes.
- Bartop – wood lacquer available in satin and gloss.
- Precat Mellamine – an aerosol lacquer available in gloss, matt and satin.
For which applications is Hygienilac particularly recommended?
Hygienilac is suitable for a host of applications and the developers have technology to enable them to include Hygienilac in a wide range of plastics and other materials to form doors, clothing and even shoes!
ServiceMaster has an exclusive agreement to use Hygienilac in some of its cleaning products and wood lacquers making it suitable for a host of applications from furniture within schools, GP surgeries and rest homes to floors and surfaces in restaurants, bars and even retail outlets.
ServiceMaster Clean® are the UK’s only specialist cleaning and surfaces maintenance organisation who can offer you a full range of infection control measures. Using exclusive products incorporating the Hygienilac technology, our unique system could help you combat the spread of disease by not only killing harmful bacteria, but by preventing re-contamination for days and in some cases up to 5 years.
The potential for the spread of infection is greater now than when antibiotics first came into use. Many harmful bacteria have become resistant to common antibiotics over time. MRSA, E-Coli, Clostridium Difficile (C-Diff) and the new super-bug MSSA are causing huge problems and most disinfectants cannot kill them.
The range of ServiceMaster Clean® specialist cleaning services extends to helping to decontaminate places affected by the highly contagious H1N1 Swine Flu virus.
Why choose ServiceMaster Clean®?
- ServiceMaster are the UK’s ONLY approved restorers using Hygienilac products
- Our products have been tested and certified to provide effective, rapid and lasting protection against the likes of MRSA, MSSA, E Coli, Clostridium Difficile (at spore level), Listeria and many more
- Hygienilac has FDA and HSE approval for indirect and incidental food contact and is non-carcinogenic, non-mutagenic and non-skin sensitising
ServiceMaster Clean® can make a difference in three ways:
- We can deep clean – your floors and upholstery (providing up to 72 hours protection)
- We can protect – with our unique range of fabric protectors (6-12 months protection) and surface lacquers offering up to 5 years antibacterial protection
- We can maintain – by offering a regular programme of infection control for the carpets, flooring and upholstery within your home and repair any damaged furniture.